Cycling at Maritzburg College
Cycling is a relatively new sport at Maritzburg College that is growing very rapidly. Due to the adventurous nature of the sport, it appeals to the inherent character and spirit of boys. We have selected a team of 22 dedicated and committed cyclists who train together as a squad twice a week and race every weekend.
Cyclists at Maritzburg College will be:
- expected to be fully committed and involved in our cycling programme and the community
- given every opportunity possible to develop and improve their skills, strength and abilities
- encouraged to foster a close relationship with a dynamic team that includes, higher and lower formers, coaches as well as parents and other family members
- inspired to delight themselves in outdoor adventures and care for our natural resources
Second term activities include:
- 30 April (FREE Weekend): KZN MTB Provincial Enduro/DHI series #3, Husqvarna Mid-Illovo Classic
- 14 May (Reunion weekend): Greytown MTB Classic
- 27 May: STIHL Karkloof Enduro
- 28 May: Sappi Karkloof Classic
- 3 June (FREE Weekend): KZN MTB Provincial XCO Series #3
- 16 June: PMB MTB Festival - Enduro Cascades
- 24 June: KZN MTB Provincial XCO Championships
- 25 June: Compendium Burg Wheelers MTB Race powered by Bidvest
- July holiday activities:
- 2 July: KZN MTB Provincial Enduro and DHI Championships
- 16 July: Gooderson Drakensberg Gardens MTB & Trail Running Challenge
Our first activity for the year was the Drak Descent cycle race. The boys camped at the scenic Glenhaven campsite on the bank of the UMzimkhulu river, near Underberg. Many thanks to the Christie family from Sani spoors (event organisers and Old Boys), who generously entered all our cyclists at no charge. The weekend was a wonderful way to orientate new boys and parents into our cycling community.
It is our aim to provide cyclists with the best possible opportunities. Any boy who does cycling as a main sport is expected to participate in at least one event over every weekend in our school calendar. We are in a very fortunate position whereby we pay for all race entry fees in full, thanks to our main sponsor: Business Driven Network Solutions (BDNS). Thirsti have recently agreed to a sponsor our top Junior (Thomas Cheatle) and Youth (Johandre Marx) cyclists each with a fully paid VIP package to participate in the Thirsti Extreme 3-day solo stage race (the biggest in South Africa).
Our boys are transported to and from a riding venue twice a week and to a race every weekend. They have access to the High Performance Centre twice a week, where our biokineticist, Mr Greeff, issues them with a gym program and ensures that boys are monitored with regards to fitness and strength conditioning.
MIC and Coach
Mr Gerhard Erasmus
Manager and Coach
Mrs Lisa Akerman