The past few weeks have been a tough time for College not only because of the boys writing exams, but also due to considerable negative and factually incorrect publicity in various forms of media. These have been reported to the press Ombudsman and we await their findings. I wish to assure the College community that we have at all times complied with our own Code of Conduct and the South African Schools’ Education Act of 1996 when dealing with disciplinary matters. This has been confirmed by our legal advisors, and the Chairman of the Governing Body published a letter to Parents on the 20th June which clearly detailed the Governing Body’s perspective on the matter.
It has been disappointing that a small element of our Old Boys have continued to malign the school in the media without of course knowing the full details. College as a school is fully representative of a number of cultures, races and boys with various religious beliefs, and we continue to celebrate the differences in a number of forums. Furthermore, we continue to be leaders in numerous areas of transformation, our mentor programme and the establishment of a social awareness forum are examples of this. Our prefects also initiated a forum for prefects and leaders from a number of other schools to meet where they discussed issues of social awareness and will champion a follow up meeting at the end of June. What is unfortunate is that the school is not at liberty to discuss the actual facts in the media i.e. to defend itself. If you have any concerns whatsoever, I urge you to consult myself or any member of the school’s executive.
Term Three – Monday 24 July to Friday 29 September 2017
Please take note of the following important information/dates concerning Term Three 2017.
- Friday 28 July: Boys leave for the Interschool Exchange against Affies
- Saturday 29 July: Interschool Exchange vs. Affies [A]
- Saturday 5 August: Interschool Exchange vs. PBHS [H]
- Thursday 10 August: College Careers Focus 2017
- Saturday 12 August: Interschool Exchange vs. KES [H] compulsory attendance
- Friday 18 August: School Holiday – Staff Professional Development and Leavers’ Dinner and Dance
- Saturday 26 August: Skonk Nicholson 7s Rugby Tournament, 5s Hockey Tournament and College Family Day
- Monday 25 September is a School Holiday due to the Heritage Day Public Holiday on Sunday 24 September
- Thursday 28 September: Sport and Cultural Awards Ceremony
- Friday 29 September – Special Routine with school closing at 12:00 for the end of Term 3.
June School Reports
The June Exam results will be available by end of term and reports will be emailed to you early next term. Hard copies will also be given to the boys. Parents are advised to ensure that the school has their latest correct email address as reports are going to be emailed in the future.
Parents’ Evenings [Alan Paton Memorial Hall from 17:15]
Parents are asked to take note of the following:
- Tuesday 01 August: Form 6
- Tuesday 08 August - Form 5
- Tuesday 15 August - Form 4
- The Form 3 Subject Choice Meeting for parents and boys will be held in the Alan Paton Hall on Monday 07 August at 17:30.
- College Careers Focus 2017 - Directing the unique potential of our boys [Alan Paton Memorial Hall] Thursday 10 August from 16:30
At Maritzburg College, we believe firmly in preparing our boys for life and part of our strategic plan involves striving to improve the work ethic of our boys. We already have a very successful career guidance programme in place in our Pupil Development Centre and Life Orientation departments, but we are seeking to enhance this further. We believe that when young people focus on their future, there is an improved level of motivation and work ethic at school.
In conjunction with the Subject Heads and the Maritzburg College Club, we are excited to launch the College Career Focus 2017. We have identified a number of individuals who we believe would make a valuable contribution to our programme and who are in careers that would interest our boys. These individuals cover a very wide range of careers from the traditional to the more unusual. To this end, we would be delighted if you and your sons would join us at this inaugural event. The event is scheduled to take place on Thursday 10 August 2017 from 17:00 in the Alan Paton Memorial Hall.
There will be compulsory attendance for all Form 5 pupils, but all boys from Form 3-6 are welcome to attend. We look forward to hosting you, our parents and boys at this event, which we are confident, will be valuable in assisting to direct the potential of our boys.
Form 6 Art Exhibition
The Form 6 Art Exhibition will open in the Victoria Hall on Wednesday 23 August at 18:00.We would like to invite all Matric art boys and their parents to attend this momentous event. The exhibition will be open to the public from Thursday 24 August until Sunday 27 August and we encourage all to come and enjoy what promises to be a collection of exciting, risky and thought-provoking artworks that may disturb or delight but certainly not leave you unmoved.
Third Term Free Weekends, Staff Professional Development and Leavers’ Dinner Dance
College will close at 14:40 on Thursday 17 August for the Free Weekend. Boys will return to school on Monday 21 August.
Friday 18 August will be a school holiday and dedicated to Staff Professional Development.
The Leavers’ Dinner and Dance is scheduled to be held in the Alan Paton Memorial Hall from 18:00 on Friday 18 August.
The 6th Form Trial Exams run from Wednesday 06 September until Friday 22 September. During that time the 6th Form dayboys will be required at school only when they write an exam, for sport practices and matches. 6th Form boarders have their normal routine.
I again request parents to be generous in their offers of hosting Pretoria Boys’ High on Friday 04 August and KES on Friday 11 August. The success of these exchanges depends largely on the kindness of the home school community and I ask you to help us again in this regard. It is also essential that boys continue to meet their winter sporting commitments until the end of the season.
Please note that we will be travelling to Affies on Friday 28 July for the fixtures to be played on Saturday 29 July.
We welcome the support of as many members of our community as possible.
Tours, Leadership Camps and Hikes
- The following are taking place at the end of the term:
- Form 5 Prefect Identification Camp: takes place from Thursday 17 to Saturday 19 August.
- Form 5 Economics Tour: takes place from Sunday 24 September to Wednesday 27 September.
- Form 4 Cobbam Berg Hike: Two groups of boys will be involved from Sunday 24 September to Thursday 28 September.
- Form 3 Leadership Hike in Umkomaas Valley: Two groups of boys will be involved from Sunday 24 September to Thursday 28 September.
These Leadership Camps will be supervised by our staff and professional instructors.
Passive Fundraising for College
As most of you are aware, College is part of the Makro and MySchool rebate/support programmes. These programmes provide a regular income for facility and ground development/upkeep around the campus. Application Forms for the Makro Rebate Programme are included with this circular. Regarding MySchool, if you have not already joined their supporter programme please contact the school and we will provide you with an application Form.
I again appeal to all parents to pay the school fee to enable us to continue to provide an uncompromised educational service to your sons. Please make paying school fees a priority.
I wish you and your boys a restful and enjoyable July holiday, and all our boys who are at provincial tournaments every success.