The Interact Club at Maritzburg College involves approximately 45 pupils who give of their time voluntarily. The club aims at providing services to the community around College in Pietermaritzburg. We are also under the guidance of the Azalea Rotary Club.
The Four-way Test for all Interactors is:
• Is it the truth?
• Is it fair to all concerned?
• Will it build goodwill and better friendship?
• Will it be beneficial to all concerned?
Some of the activities offered and undertaken by the pupils are:
• helping with beach front clean ups
• collecting books, sports equipment and shoes for Youth of Choice
• working with local orphanages such as Tabitha Ministries
• assisting with the organisation of the Cansa Relay for Life
• collecting, packing and delivering food and toy parcels at Christmas
• assisting with collections for the East Coast Radio Toy Story
• Interact stands for: SERVICE ABOVE SELF
OUTREACH COMPUTER LESSONS
CARING FOR ANIMALS AND MENDING CAGES AT THE SPCA
Relay for Life is an overnight community event that enables individual communities to get involved in the fight against cancer. Everyone is encouraged to participate in the 12-18 hour relay that includes luminaria and survivors. Relay teams of 10-15 people walk on a pre marked track in support of CANSA. The relay takes place at night to highlight the fact that Cancer never sleeps.
Teams raise funds before and during the event and these funds are channelled towards CANSA services in that community. CANSA (SA) held its first Relay for Life event in 2005. Since then Relay has grown and it is now held in over 16 communities.